Classic Paris vs. Champagne France vs. Art Deco vs. Art Nouveau

When I go shopping for furniture and I show the salesperson that original Classic Paris theme photo (see below) it is not uncommon to be told that I am actually after furniture that is art deco or art nouveau. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is, because the research I have done has made me more confused than ever. Leave a comment or us the Contact Form widget... I don't mind. If you are an advertiser don't bother leaving a comment, because I'm just going to delete it like I have all the other ones that I tried!

Art Nouveau (according to Google)...



Art Deco (according to Google)...



Combo of Champagne France and Classic Paris...



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:32 pm

    Art nouveau: Popular in the late 19th century; whiplash curves; nature-inspired designs; finely crafted metal and wood. Think Rivendell or signs for the Paris Metro.

    Art deco: Popular in the 1920s and 1930s; zigzags, sharp angles and stepped designs; influenced by jazz and skyscrapers. It also utilized modern materials like chrome, stainless steel, and inlaid wood. If Art Deco dabbled with natural materials, they tended to be graphic or textural, like zebra skin or jagged fern leaves. As a result, Deco featured bold shapes like sunbursts and zigzags and broad curves. Think The Great Gatsby.

    Hope this helps,

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me Art Nouveau is a style still based on a realistic interpretation of art with a more traditional based design of furniture.

    Art deco is a more simplistic interpretation of art for instance the overall shapes are still their but the finer details are missing,

    Straight lines, curves, and lack of small detail are typical of the furniture and architecture. In the UK it is commonly refered to as Odeon Style as many Odeon Cinemas were built in this style.

    In my opinion the Classic Paris is more Art Nouveau than any other stle

    ReplyDelete